Bay Parkway Day Laborers
Committees Job Center
HELPERS - SKILLED WORKERS
· Land Scaping
Cesars Bay (Bay Parkway and The Waters Edge) Right next to K Mart, in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn.
Take Belt Parkway to Exit 5, Bay Parkway Phones:
Cel: 917 513-8502
THE WOMENS DAY LABORER
COMMITTEE OF WILLIAMSBURG
WHO ARE WE?
We are part of the Latin American Workers Project (L.A.W.P.) and temporarily operate in the Parish Center of Transfiguration Church. The center is led by women Day Laborers conscious of the need to create leadership and alternative spaces in order to have a stronger voice to defend our rights and dignity, and to improve our living standard. The Womens Day Laborer Committee and the L.A.W.P. understood that an alternative solution was necessary for the more than sixty Latino, Eastern European and West Indian women who looked for work on the corner of Hooper and Lee in Williamsburg , Brooklyn. After 2 months of organizing, the Job Center of the Womens Day Laborer Committee of Williamsburg opened its doors.
· House cleaning
· Office cleaning
JOB CENTER OF THE WOMENS DAY LABORER COMMITTEE OF WILLIAMSBURG
280 Marcy Ave. in Williamsburg, Brooklyn
Phone: 718 218-7436 Fax: 718 486-3835
ADVANTAGES OF THE JOB CENTERS
For contractors and home owners:
· An organized registration and system categorizes the day laborers by skills. This assures that the day laborers are appropiate for specific jobs and that work is allocated in an orderly and fair manner.
· If an employer requires a specific worker, the employer can hire the day laborer of his/her choice.
· Employers can call and ask about the availability of workers and general information regarding the center.
For Women/Men Day Laborers:
· Office space, access to telephones, coffee and bread, trashcans, bathrooms, and shelter from sun and rain. A safe place were sexual harassment is not tolerated.
· At the center, bilingual staff provide support and is responsible for informing the Day Laborers about their rights and responsibilities.
· Day Laborers receive legal and medical services, participate in English and literacy classes, and benefit from referrals to other services available in the NYC area.